Monday, October 20, 2008

Vacation Reading in South Padre

Next week at this time I'll be in South Padre, TX. Woo! I'm ready for the beach, and the sand, and some relaxing down time. I ordered a bunch of books this morning from Barnes and Noble to test out the "Same Day Delivery In Manhattan" deal. My order went in at 7:15 or so this morning, and no books yet. Good thing I ordered early. (update - 6:68 pm - the books arrived! Yay!)

Here is what I'm taking - not sure if I'll read them all, but probably will and wanted some options incase one or more of them wasn't what I was in the mood for...
Most is new stuff I've never read before that may turn into an interesting series - or maybe not. We'll see.






Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie, Bob Mayer

Post trip notes: Finished this one on the plane (started it at home). Entertaining and humorous. I loved Cranky Agnes and her voluptuousness, cooking ablility - gathering her friends around, and her personal discussions with herself - as well as her relationship with the hitman :) Very much a sit back and enjoy the ride - no thought required.







Plum Lovin' (Stephanie Plum Series) by Janet Evanovich

Post trip notes: One of those series so many have read that I don't need to say much - just what you'd expect in a shorter version of the usual - Loved it :)









On What Grounds by Cleo Coyle, Cathy Gendron ( Illustrator) , Rita Frangie ( Designed by) , Kristin de Rosario

Post trip notes: Interesting story, though all the coffee facts interspersed in the story were sometimes a little distracting. I'd read the next one if I didn't have any of my regular faves.






The Outlaw Demon Wails (Rachel Morgan Series #6) by Kim Harrison

Post trip notes: I forgot this one on the trip - I'll review once I'm done.









Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta Series #1) by Patricia Cornwell


Post trip notes: Rick actually picked this one up when he was finished all his books, and the Tess Garritson. Hasn't finished yet.







Deja Dead (Temperance Brennan Series #1) by Kathy Reichs, Kathy Reichs ( Illustrator)

Post trip notes: I'm still reading this one - pretty good so far!







The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen


Post trip notes: Rick picked this up while we were still at SPI (he needs to bring more than 4 books next time). He thought the descriptions of how women were treated was disturbing. I didn't read this one yet.









Freakin' Fabulous : How to Dress, Speak, Behave, Eat, Drink, Entertain, Decorate, and Generally Be Better than Everyone Else by Clinton Kelly

Post trip notes: This is a hilarious afternoon read - I doubt those folks who need the grammar lessons actually understood them, but the example thank you notes were worth the price of admission :)





The One Hundred : A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own by Nina Garcia, Ruben Toledo ( Illustrator)

Post trip notes: Boring enough that I left this one behind as a contribution to the "library".









Sedona Method : Your Key to Lasting, Happiness, Success, Peace and Emotional Well-Being by Hale Dwoskin, Jack Canfield ( Foreword by)

Post trip notes: Light reading, but heavy exercises - still working on this and probably will for a while. Good to have some positive thoughts inserted along the way.