Thursday, October 28, 2010

Tastemakers for Nature's Pride

The other day Rick and I came home from playing in the city, and a big brown box was sitting at the door. "What did I get you?" he asked. I replied "Hmmm...really not sure. Oh, it's from Foodbuzz. See you didn't have to pay a thing!"

I opened the box and found 2 loaves of Nature's Pride bread - one Honey Wheat and the other was Oatmeal. A carb conscious girl, the first thing I did was to look at the nutritional information. I just won't buy any pre-sliced bread that is more than 70 calories and that doesn't have at least 2 grams of fiber. Unless I am considering it a replacement for chocolate cake. So both loaves have 90 calories per slice. The honey wheat has "added fiber" (so they tossed some extra not naturally occurring stuff in to make it look good), and a total of 2 grams of fiber per slice. The oatmeal was only 1 gram of fiber per slice. So, without this program I would have never, ever purchased this bread.

We've now tried both flavors. They are both nice in texture, and not too heavy. The honey wheat has a light sweet flavor - I'm not sure I've ever purchased a honey sandwich bread before, but it was almost as sweet as a portuguese sweet white bread. The Oatmeal was decidedly sweet, half way between bread and dessert.
I'm sorry that I can't recommend this bread on any level, as Nature's Pride does work closely with Foodbuzz, and I do appreciate that. But I'm sure they can do better.

My favorite bread now is the Vermont Bread Company Soft Whole Wheat Bread. With 70 calories/slice, 3 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protien, it's a good one to try. I keep buying it because I like the flavor too!