Sunday, March 29, 2009

Suzee's Banana Bread

I had 3 small perfectly over-ripe bananas yesterday, and I made the most delicious banana bread with them :) I think I could have added 1 more banana to the mix, but I only ordered 3 from Fresh Direct and Rick didn't eat any of them, so that's what I had on hand. I like to add a 1/2 cup or more of mini chocolate chips to this recipe too sometimes. Rick prefers it without, but if you are looking for a more dessert like recipe, they are really good. Don't use the regular chocolate chips - they totally overwhelm the banana flavor.

Here is the recipe -

1 3/4 C Flour
2t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
8T melted butter
3/4 cup sugar, plus more for dusting the top
2 large eggs
1 C mashed banana (3 medium)
1 C chopped walnuts
Optional - 1/2 C to 1 C mini chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350.
Grease a 9x5 loaf pan (I used a pyrex one which I believe is 8x4 and it was fine).
Stir together flour, baking soda and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
Beat sugar and butter until combined.
Beat in eggs, one at a time.
Beat in mashed banana (if bananas are really ripe, no need to mash)
Stir in walnuts, vanilla and if using, chocolate chips
Stir in flour mixture, 1/3 at a time, mixing after each addition.

Bake for an hour and check the bread with a toothpick. If the toothpick is doughy and not clean, bake a little longer.

Rick likes it best sliced and grilled with butter :)