Monday, October 19, 2009

Suzee's Sopa de Pollo y Chile

I was in a creative mood yesterday, and wanted to make a healthy mexican chicken soup. I made stock the previous day from a roast chicken, so I figured, what can I add to this?? It ended up being the hugest pot of soup - we will be eating it all week! Here are the ingredients for half the pot I made:

3 cups chicken stock
1 can black beans, rinsed
1.5 cups corn (I used frozen)
2 carrots, chopped, sauteed
1 large sweet onion, chopped, sauteed
1 4oz can chopped chiles
2 cups chopped chicken
juice of 1 large lime
1 T cumin
1 T smoked chipotle (yes, really!)
1 T chili pepper
1 t garlic powder

This easy, healthy soup is thick. If you want more broth, add a can of chicken broth or water. I like serving it topped with a couple of crushed tortilla chips - good salt and a new dimention to the corn flavor!

Enjoy!