Friday, December 3, 2010

Cirque Du Soliel - Wintuk

Last night went to see Wintuk - I got a comp ticket, and this was the last year they were going to offer it in NYC. I walked over to Madison Square Garden, and after getting lost in the Andrea Boccelli line, I now realize that MSG has 2 venues - the arena (where I saw Lady Gaga earlier this year) and the WaMu Theater (where Wintuk was held). The arena has great seats all around. The WaMu Theater was so poorly designed, I'll bet 50% of the seats had an obstructed view (the head in front of them). And the seats are very uncomfortable.

The show started on time, but surprisingly, people kept arriving and were seated during the show. It was very distracting. I'm not sure if it's true of all Cirq shows (though it was for Banana Schpeel) that there is really no story. And this show had even less dialog. In the first 45 minutes, there might have been 20 spoken words.

The show was filled with physical comedy, and I'll bet that children would really enjoy it. Unfortunately, I didn't.

It seemed unprofessional. Given that some paid more that $200 per ticket, that was surprising. In addition to seating people while the show was in progress, Cirq was not even able to maintain a playbill for this show to let you know who the performers were.

So, if you are in the mood for a child like show sans the adult jokes, or perhaps you want to expose your children to theater as a way to ease them into something where appropriate behavior is required, perhaps this is for you.

For me, I'm not sure I'd actually pay for a Cirq show given my experiences so far.