Thursday, June 11, 2009

Suzee's Best Meatloaf So Far!

Rick ate meatloaf tonight - there was ketchup on the table and he didn't even use it! That's how I know this was my best meatloaf so far. He wouldn't say it was the best meat loaf ever, so Michelle, you must still have that honor :)

Here is what I used:

2 lbs ground beef from the King Farm
1 lb ground meatloaf mix from D'Agastino's (even parts beef, veal and pork)
1 heavy C of 4 cheese blend cheese shreds (or whatever you have on hand)
1 C red wine
1 C oatmeal
2 eggs, beaten
1 packet Knorr French Onion Soup mix
1/2 C Low Sugar Ketchup

I heated the oven to 375, and put all the meat in a big bowl. I dumped the oatmeal and the wine in a separate bowl for the oatmeal to suck up the wine. After 15 or 20 minutes I added the beaten eggs and the Knorr soup mix to the oatmeal mixture. Then I mixed the 2 together just until combined. I loaded the meat into a loaf pan, and added the ketchup to the top and baked it for about 1 hour 15 minutes.

This meat loaf would have stood up to a nice Cabernet, but I had opened a pinot noir thinking it needed something lighter. Whoops!