Friday, February 12, 2010

Suzee's Oatmeal Spice Cookies

My Valentine, Rick, was happy that I made his favorite cookies - these oatmeal spice cookies are his absolute favorite, and his eyes sparkle when he realizes there is a batch on the way :) I tell myself they are better for him than other cookies because of the oatmeal and the almonds. Shhhh - don't ruin my fantasy!
Here's how to make them:

2 sticks butter, room temperature
1C packed brown sugar
1C granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg, fresh ground preferred
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cumin
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp baking soda
1.5 C flour
3C Quaker old fashioned oats
1C roughly chopped almonds

Preheat the oven to 375. Cream the butter and sugars until the mixture is light. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in spices and baking soda. Stir in flour, then oats, then almonds. Drop dough by teaspoonful on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes for each batch. Let cool 1 minute, and transfer to a cooling rack. Watch them disappear! You can try to hide some cooled cookies in the freezer, but my cookie monster still finds them there!