Sunday, September 5, 2010

Blue Smoke Goodbye Lunch

My project came to an end at the palace this week, and for a second good bye lunch, my boss Andy took me out. We decided to hit Blue Smoke. I haven't been here since Rick and I went and tried a few samplers, but I remembered spying the Banana Cream pie on the way out thinking - I MUST try that next time!
I started with the Yellowfin Tuna Tacos - you know my penchant for fresh fish tacos! I was a little leary about ordering fish at a BBQ place, but I figured, what the heck? The menu didn't say anything about it being raw, and when the waitress mentioned sushi, I was a bit puzzled. When they came, I was shocked to see raw tuna in a small dice loaded into 3 small hard taco shells. I took a taste, and it was nicely flavored with cilantro and something fresh like perhaps tomatillos. One taco was really enough - this is a very substantial appetizer, but it would have been divine had the tuna been grilled.
Andy had the Shrimp Corndogs - very nice presentation. Long wooden skewers topped with fried shimp coated in cornbread. Andy let me have one, and the coating was crisp, light and corny - yeah that sounds corny, but really it was a great way to serve them. There was a light sauce they came with that I liked a lot as well - it had a fresh cilantro lift to it as well.
We moved on to the entrees and we both ordered the pulled pork - and it was really good! You can see Andy's dish above - the pulled pork platter. I had the sandwich - and I would definitely order it again!
And you would think after all that food, we'd be done, but no. That banana cream pie was calling my name, and I ordered it.

 It. Was. To. Die. For.

And it was even better than mine!! I do see a return visit in the future :)