Friday, March 5, 2010

Flounder with Fennel and Garlic

Tonight I made comfort food. I know - who thinks of fish as comfort food? I do!

When I was growing up, my parent's idea of fun was to go deep sea fishing, dig clams, pull oysters, catch lobsters, go smelting and once, even go scalloping. And you know what? It was fun :D

In the warm weather we'd go out on the boat, and sometimes we'd get cod, and once we got big mackerel. Usually we got flounder. So when it comes to fish, I'm used to cooking it the same day you catch it. That's the best :)

I ordered some flounder from Fresh Direct that was delivered today. They advertised it as 4 out of 5 stars in quality. I don't think I've seen anything advertised as 5 star on their site, but I've seen plenty of 3 star, so I figured I'd give it a try. It's guaranteed after all. If it's not good, I just email them for a refund.

Now, to cook it so Rick is not dreading dinner. Unlike me, Rick hated everything to do with deep sea fishing when he was a kid, and he usually fed the fish over the side rather than with a pole and bait. Seafood was not a usual occurance at his house, and overall, he prefers not to eat it. I'll keep trying to get him to like it, though, because it's so gosh darn good for you!! That's how I came up with the shaved fennel. Usually I'd make fish topped with chopped onion sauteed in butter, and he doesn't mind that as much. And get this - he actually let me serve him a second piece and he ate it! Woo!

Here is what I did.

Preheat the oven at 375 or 400. Shave one bulb of fennel with a mandoline, and toss it in a pan to sautee with 1T oil and 1T butter. Peel and chop 2 or 3 fat cloves of garlic, and add them to the pan. Rinse the fish, and lay it in an oven to table dish. When the fennel and garlic have softened and started to color, spread it over the fish. Add another 2T of butter to the pan and let the residual heat melt it. Pour this over the fish. Pop the fish in the oven for 10 minutes. Slice a lemon if you like it, and chop some fresh parsley. When the fish is done, top it with the parsley and serve it with lemon slices on the side.

DELISH! The fennel adds a sweet tarragon flavor, and you know how much I love tarragon ;) Enjoy!