Thursday, August 12, 2010

Rick's Favorite Cole Slaw

Rick loves my cole slaw. I will make a huge bowl of it, and it is one of the things he will actually get out of the refrigerator for himself as a snack (versus me getting it out for dinner). I base this cole slaw on my mom's version, just substituting splenda for sugar. Because Rick is so fond of it, I did try making it with lots of different types of vinegars, sweetners and ingredients. This is his favorite, and I'm glad it is one of those things you can keep in the fridge for a few days - easily - although he does tend to make it disappear pretty quickly :)
Here is how to obtain the perfect final result.

For the salad part:
1 small green cabbage, or half a big one (I used half of a 6 lb cabbage - I know, who knew they grew that big?)
3 medium carrots (about a 1/2 lb)
1/2 a baseball sized vidalia onion
Peel the outter limp leaves from the cabbage and toss. Cut the cabbage in to 8ths (or 4th's if using a half cabbage - you know what I mean - something so the strips are bite sized), and slice it as thinly as you can across the grain, to make thin ribbons.
Peel and nip the top and tails of the carrots, and grate them on the large holes of a box grater.
Chop the onion fairly finely, but don't go crazy over it.
Toss everything in to an extra large bowl. I have a big stainless steel one for making big salads like this - I'll guess it's 24 quarts - I like to have some room to toss everything around.

Dressing:
3 glops of mayo - I use the helmann's olive oil mayo (which in addition to tasting good, is almost 1/2 the calories). Each glop is about 1/4 cup.
3 glugs of apple cider vinegar - about 3 T
3 packets of splenda (or 3 T of sugar, or 2 T of honey or 1.5 packets of sweet 'n low)
Mix well with a fork - if you see what looks like curdles, don't be afraid - just keep mixing and they will go away :)
Toss the salad with the dressing - I use 2 forks - it moves all that stuff around and distributes the ingredients.

Then bring the first bowl to Rick - he is always up for some good slaw!