Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pig Roast at the King Farm


This weekend was the pig roast at the King Farm, and most unfortunately, I missed it :( My mom took these photos as she knows I'm interested in learning how all this is done.

A 132 lb pig was roasted starting at 4:00 AM on Friday, and served on Saturday afternoon with a few kegs of beer, and a plethora of side dishes and desserts brought by guests who live and work in the area. Now to give you an idea of the number of people, my father thought there were no leftovers from the pig. At all. My mom squirelled away 4 portions as I asked her to so we could taste it when we visit in October. I'm planning to pop it out of the freezer to make a mexican pork stew.

At any rate, I am going to guess that means there were at least 75 people there - so at least 25 of the best local side dishes. My mom made her potato salad, which everyone always loves. My father said that he tried everything on the buffet and then went back for seconds because it was all so good. He can't do that too often these days as his diabetes doesn't allow for it, but he's back on the wagon today.

After visiting and playing yesterday, and not going to bed until after 1:00 AM, they both sounded a little tired today, but I have a feeling it's a happy tired.

I need to plan to make it out there for next year's party so I can watch the entire pig roast process! Sounds like FUN! And maybe I'll be able to get some of those prize winning side dish recipes too!