Thursday, August 20, 2009

Suzee's BBQ Pork Tenderloin

While staying at Ann's for the Band Reunion (what a hoot btw!), she made her infamous bbq ribs - meaty babybacks that really are to die for. This was the first time I tasted them, and wow, I can see (and taste!) why she gets rave reviews! I asked her for the recipe of course, and she said it was on Epicurious. I watched while she made her spice rub at 1:00 AM after the reunion, the stop at the Old Home Weekend and crashing the class of 89 20th reunion (all were invited since our classes were so tiny). So, since we had a designated driver, I was in awe that she was actually doing this. She tossed some of this and that in the bowl - said she was "winging it" just to get it done. She had a pretty large number of spices, including some I don't have. Like majoram - what the heck do you do with that bottle except for make these ribs??

So today I have a pork tenderloin for dinner, and I figured, why not put a nice rub on it?? Yes, it's not as fatty, but it probably still would be pretty good :) I looked on Epicurious as directed and there are a bazillion rib recipes, so I picked one that kinda sorta looked like hers (but no majoram, and come to think of it, no cinnamon). I started assembling it, and realized I didn't have the celery salt or dry mustard either...hmm so this really is winging it. I added some of my own twist too. It's in the fridge now, lolling around in it's blanket of special spices.

Here is how I made it:
1.5 T brown sugar
.5T Sea Salt
.75 T fresh ground pepper
1 t red pepper flakes
.5 t cayenne pepper
1.5 t garlic powder
1 t cumin
1 t cinnamon
2T paprika

Toss it all together, and break up any lumps of sugar.

I used about 2/3's of this mixture on my 1 lb tenderloin. I plan to roast it at 325 or so (don't want to burn that sugar :) I'll let you know how it goes :)