Saturday, August 29, 2009

Suzee's Salsa Fresca

I've been craving mexican food lately - the spiciness of it with the last bits of the heat of summer. We can go out for Mexican, but this time of year the tomatoes are so fabulous that it's nice to make some salsa fresca. I don't like to make too much incase we don't eat it all - the fridge kills the tomato flavor. But, if I have the space and the equipment, this salsa can be canned beautifully and you have Suzee's Salsa Fresca even in January ;) Note if you do can the salsa, make it spicier than you would normally - something about the processing mellows out the heat.

Here is how I made it the other day:

1 lbs garden fresh tomatoes - a beefsteak variety, chopped small
2 nice fat jalapenos, finely chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 bunch of cilantro, minced
juice of 2 fat juicy limes
1/2 t cumin
cayenne pepper to taste - start with a couple shakes and add from there

mix it all together with love, and serve with tortilla chips.

If I'd had more tomatoes, I would have added another 1/2 lb to the mix :)