Sunday, October 19, 2008

Suzee's Apple Crisp a la Dean and Deluca's

Yesterday, while making our way back from the park, we happened upon Dean & Deluca. I hadn't yet been in this landmark gourmet store, so I dragged Rick in (literally). It's a nice little store with beautiful produce, a fish counter, meat counter, cheese counter and a sausage and pate counter. Who knew there were so many types of pate in one place?

While looking at all the gorgeous Fall decorations (including a perfectly formed pumpkin that must have been several hundred pounds), Rick very sweetly asked me to make him an apple pie. I was up for that, but I would have to go the grocery store to get a crust. I was sure I had the makings for a crisp and I was glad when he agreed to apple crisp instead :) I picked out 5 big Roma apples thinking that would be perfect for my 8x8 square pan.

This morning I started peeling, coring and slicing. Hmmmm.....these are pretty big apples. I filled a bowl with water and started looking for lemon juice. Hmmm don't have any - no lime juice either (how did that happen??). I just tossed the apples in the plain water. By the time I was done there was no way they would fit in the square pan, so I moved to the deep dish apple pie pyrex. Once I got them all in, I started thinking maybe I should have used the 9x13. They were piled so high I wondered if the topping was going to stay on.

I had taken out the stick of butter a while ago, so it was room temp. Normally I would work it in cold with a pastry blender, but now it was too soft for that. I mixed the butter and flour well and cut in the sugar and stirred in the oats. I had looked for my brown sugar, but couldn't find it so I used white. And I just totally forgot the cinnamon on the apples.

Despite all the mistakes, the apple crisp was still tasty :) The topping was more cookie like than crisp like, but Rick liked it :)Here is the recipe - you can leave out my mistakes :)



Apple filling
6 cups apples (pick a nice cooking apple - the tart ones are best)
water and lemon juice
1/2 - 1 t cinnamon
2T sugar
1T butter (for dotting)

Topping
1/2C chilled butter
2/3 C Flour
2/3 C Brown Sugar
2/3 C Old Fashioned Rolled Oats

Preheat the oven to 375.
Peel, core and slice the apples. Put the cut apples in a bowl filled with water and a couple teaspoons of lemon juice.

Prepare the topping. Cut the butter into the flour. Cut in the brown sugar, and stir in the oats.

Drain the apples and toss them with the cinnamon, and 2T sugar. Put them in the pan and dot the top with butter. Sprinkle the topping over the apples. Bake for 40 minutes or so.

Top with vanilla ice cream if you are feeling decadent :)