Friday, December 18, 2009

Suzee's Champignons Sautee Au Beurre Avec L'ail


Tonight I had planned to have pan fried flank steak with veggies and butternut squash, but I got a last minute ticket to the White Christmas broadway mantinee show and got home late. A few minutes after I arrived at home, Rick called as he usually does before his trek back to home base.

Since I walked there and back, I was tired, and put off the big meal.

I sliced 8 ounces of crimini mushrooms, and tossed them in a teflon pan with butter and garlic powder on medium heat. I sauteed them, stirring occassionally for around 15 minutes. They looked so delicious, I wished I'd had a whole pound of mushrooms to sautee.

I had picked up a baguette at the Corando bakery at the Grand Central Market, and I didn't want it to go to waste. I sliced it on the bias, about an inch for each slice. I lightly buttered each side and baked them at 350 for 10 minutes. They were perfectly browned ad toasty with the sweet butter flavor. I spread each slice with a soft garlic cheese (like allouette or pub cheese) and topped each with slices of sauteed mushrooms with butter and garlic.

This was a delicious light supper which I enjoyed with a glass of Pinot Grigio, and Rick enjoyed with a Captain Morgan and diet coke. I think I'll make this one again at New Years Eve - delicious appetizers are appropriate for a New Year celebration!