Sunday, December 20, 2009

Suzee's Chicken Corn Chowder


I was going to make a simple chicken and rice soup today. I started the mirepoix, a mixture of onion, carrot and celery sauteeing in the soup pot while I deboned the chicken. Even though the chicken was cooked, it took longer than I thought and I burned the crap out of my aromatics. Boo hiss. I stopped. Tossed out the burned food, and had a bloody mary. Once I was done my brunch cocktail, I started again.
1 vidalia onion
4 small carrots
3 stalks celery
3 T butter
3 T flour
6 cups chicken stock
1t dried sage
1t dried thyme
1/2t garlic powder
8 oz cooked rice (I used left over chinese takeout rice)
2 big cups of cooked chicken
1/2 c half and half
I sauteed a vadalia onion, 4 small carrots and 3 stalks of celery, diced. I moved the veggies to one side of the pan, and added butter and flour to make a roux. I cooked it for a couple of minutes, and then added 6 cups of chicken stock and the rice. Next I chopped the cooked chicken and added this to the pot. I added the spices and finally the half and half.
I let this simmer for 15 minutes or so while I baked a par-baked baguette from Fresh Direct. The bread and chowder were a warm and delicious supper for a snowy day :)