Sunday, December 20, 2009

Suzee's French Tea Cakes



I was looking to make some almond cookies - I've always enjoyed making the Almond Crescents from Rose Beranbaum's Christmas Cookie book, but that book is in storage :( I turned to the internet to gain inspiration for a cookie that would be satisfying, as well as one that can be made with out my food processor or my mixer, as both of these were too large to keep here in the apartment. This is what I came up with!





2 sticks of room temp butter (leave it out over night)


1/2C confectioners sugar


1T vanilla


2 1/4C Flour


2/3 C almonds


More confectioners sugar for rolling





Preheat the oven to 400.


Take the almonds and chop them into very small pieces.


In a large bowl, mix the butter, 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla.


Next add flour and almonds, and mix until you have a crumbly dough.


Form dough into 1" balls, and bake for 12 minutes. Don't be afraid to place these cookies close together on the ungreased cookies sheet - they will not spread or rise.


Once baked, roll each cookie well in sugar, and set on a rack to cool.


Once cooled, roll each cookie again in sugar.





Enjoy!





The next time I make these, I will try the following changes:





In the cookies I'll add 1/2t of almond extract.


I'll change the confectioners sugar from 1/2 C to 1C.


I'll change the flour from 2 1/4 cups to 2 cups.


And I may decide to create a glaze for the cookies rather than rolling in sugar - or half and half...