Thursday, January 22, 2009

Suzee's Low Carb Zucchini and Rice Casserole I

I found a couple recipes that inspired this one. I made it for Rick and it was pretty good, but much better a day or 2 later :) I have some ideas for the next version, which is why I named this one version one! Even if you are not eating low carb, this is a nice low calorie dish too.

4 cups sliced zucchini
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup "riced" cauliflower
1/2 cup 2% cheddar cheese
1/2 cup low fat sour cream
1/4 cup parmesean cheese
1 clove garlic minced
1 egg and 2 egg whites beaten
cooking spray

Preheat oven 350.
Put the zucchini and onion in a pan and sautee until tender.
Use a potato masher to mash slightly.
Combine the "rice", cheddar, sour cream, 2T parmesean and eggs.
Stir some of the zucchini mixture into the egg mixture to temper it, then add all of it.
Spray an 8x8 pan, and pour the mixture in.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle the remainder of the parmesean on the casserole.
Serves 4 :)