Thursday, September 17, 2009

Dos Caminos on Park Ave



After walking around Chelsea today, including a tour of the Chelsea market, I meandered back toward home. I realized it was around lunch time - lucky me :) There was Dos Caminos - and it is on my list of places to try :)

I settled into a table in the front room, and after a while a waitress came by and took my order. I started with ice water and a glass of red sangria. I never used to be a fan of sangria - just a fruity wine - too sweet for me. But it seems almost every place around here adds brandy to their sangria - smoothing out all that sweetness. It had diced apples and cherries - very tasty! I ordered the asada tacos (according to the menu this is grilled marinated sirloin steak, caramelized onions, cotija cheese, guacamole on home made corn tortillas). The beef had a wonderfully rich and spicy sauce. It didn't seem to have the caramelized onions, and definitely no guacamole as advertised. It did have some raw onion, along with chopped fresh tomatoes. Refried black beans and spanish rice accompanied the tacos, and a tray of 3 salsas. One of the three was a delish tomatillo - my favorite :)

I tried to replicate the sangria - I am not a good sangria maker - yet :)

I'm looking forward to bringing Rick back here to try more of the mexican specialties!