Sunday, September 6, 2009

Suzee's Asian Pear Crisp


Asian pears were at the farmer's market this week for $2/lb. Weight watchers counts 1 asian pear as 0 points - all that fiber you know. So I thought - hey! Maybe I could make a remotely healthy crisp out of these sweet nuggets. Definitely would up the fiber for my honey. Now, I'm not sure I would make this again - I really like apples - but it was a nice experiment.
2 asian pears, leave the skin on - cored and diced in bite sized pieces
2T cold butter, divided
3 T brown sugar
3 T flour, divided
3T old fashioned rolled oats
1T chopped walnuts
a few sprinkles of cinnamon to taste
Mix the pears with a teaspoon of the flour and place in a baking dish (I used an au gratin). Dot 1t of butter on top, and sprinkle the cinnamon and walnuts over as well. Cut in the rest of the cold butter to the brown sugar until the butter is the size of small peas. Mix in the remaining flour and oats. Sprinkle the topping over the fruit. Bake for about 45 or so at 350.