Saturday, April 10, 2010

Suzee's Almond Banana Bread

I was going to make Banana Bread today - I had some gorgeously ripe bananas and thankfully it was cool today. And I had my brandy new cuisinart hand mixer that I was anxious to try :)

I started and realized that I'd run out of vanilla. Crap.

I had some almond extract, and thought maybe I'd try that instead. To just leave out the vanilla would result in an overly sweet tasteless bread, so almond extract it was. Since I was going to use the extract, I figured I'd use some almonds as well.

1 3/4C Flour
2t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
8T melted butter
3/4C sugar
2 large eggs
3 large bananas, mashed
1 C chopped almonds
1 t almond extract

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a loaf pan. Stir together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
Beat together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in bananas.
Stir in almonds, almond extract.
Stir in flour mixture, a third at a time, mixing after each addition.

Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Check with a toothpick - if it's still doughy, bake a little longer.