Friday, April 2, 2010

Jenny's Tomatillo, Orange and Avacado Salsa

I met Jenny not too long ago - maybe 5 or 6 (or 7?) years ago. We both were singing in a gospel chior located in South Berwick ME called Rock My Soul. After a few months of singing, she auditioned to be a soloist, and boy - she really kicked butt! Fabulous! You can hear her jamming on the first CD. I was going to set her up with my cousin Rob, and then I found out she was moving to Alaska for a guy! Considering she grew up in Alabama, I was surprised and pleased for her :)

While we made lots of music, I had the opportunity to taste some of her fabulous cuisine. I will never forget her mini pecan tarts with the the most flakey little crusts, or the time she catered all the food back stage for a concert in Dover (the choir literally snarfed everything down). And I do believe she had this salsa at that concert. It was a-maz-ing!

I invited Jenny to send a recipe as a guest post on this blog, and I'm so glad she did!


As Jenny says -

Here is the salsa recipe, I usually double the recipe. It keeps pretty well in the fridge for a couple of days, but trust me if you make it for a party it'll be gone quick!! You'll need a hearty chip, the thin ones break too easily.


The Herb Dressing makes quite a bit more than you need for the salsa. I've used it on fish also, it's a good all purpose blend.

The recipe is from a magazine I get called "The Herb Companion". It's such a fresh and bright salsa, wonderful for hot summer days! You'll love it, enjoy!

Herb Dressing

1 large poblano chile, roasted, peeled, seeds and stem removed, cut into 1-inch pieces

3 to 4 cloves garlic

1 cup firmly packed parsley leaves and tender stems

1/4 cup cilantro leaves, packed

2 tablespoons rosemary leaves

2 tablespoons oregano leaves (Yucatan or Cuban type if available)

1 tablespoon coarsely chopped orange peel, colored portion only

1 small serrano chile, seeds and stem removed

1/2 cup olive oil

1/2 cup fresh lime juice

1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine all in blender and puree until smooth.



TOMATILLO, ORANGE AND AVOCADO SALSA


1/2 pound tomatillos, husks and core removed, washed and cut in 1/4-inch dice

1 large ripe avocado, peeled, pit removed and cut in 1/2- inch dice

1large seedless orange, peeled, segments cut into 1/2 -inch pieces

1/2 cup slivered red onion (soak in sugar water if too hot)

1 to 2 teaspoons minced, seeded jalapeƱo or serrano chiles

Juice of 1 lime

2 tablespoons Fresh Herb Seasoning Blend

Salt to taste

Additional chopped cilantro for garnish

Combine all ingredients in a glass or stainless-steel bowl. Toss lightly and taste for seasoning; adjust to balance salt and acid.