Saturday, April 24, 2010

Suzee's NYC Style Steak

Rick and I love a good steak with some veggies and a nice California Cabernet, preferably one aged in our wine cellar so it's at least 6 years old, but not more than 8.

Moving to Manhattan, we gave up the grill (I miss you my lovely Webber!) and we gave up the wine cellar. So it took me a while to find a way to cook beef that would satisfy us in a similar way, since nothing is like grilling, but grilling.

First, I like to buy thick cuts of meat. The thicker, the better in my book, because in order to get a nice caramelization on the outside, and still have your meat medium rare, you need that thickness. If your steak has a bit of bone still in it (like this bone in shell steak pictured here), all the better. The bone adds flavor, and you can pop the bone in the freezer for stock later.

Second, I gave up liquid marinades. I pull the meat from the fridge around 2 hours prior to cooking to allow it to come to room temperature. When I take it from the fridge, I dry it with paper towels, and season it liberally with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Then I let it sit until it is time to cook.

Third, I always use my magic All Clad 12" pan. I set it on the stove, with nothing in it. Then I turn the burner to high to heat the pan, and using a timer, I leave it there for 15 minutes.

Yes. 15 minutes. Very important!

I also turn on the oven to 350.

Next I place the beef in the pan, and do not touch it again for 5 minutes (timer again). Yes, keep that heat as high as it will go. Then I turn it, and leave it there for another 4 or 5 minutes. Once the second side is caramelized, I pop the magic pan into the heated oven for 10 minutes or so. When the beef comes out, I allow it to stand for 5 or 10 minutes, and then slice it to serve. If we are cooking smaller sized steaks, like a filet mignon, I just serve as is.

Enjoy!