Sunday, April 11, 2010

Suzee's Tarragon Chicken Tartine

After my trip to Le Pain Quotidien on Friday, I was inspired to make my own tartines for lunch today. I wanted something fresh, light and delicious as we lounged around the apartment.

I pulled a small loaf of par baked Italian demi baguette from the freezer and popped it in my preheated oven as directed. I get these yummy loaves from Fresh Direct - they do a great job on par baked bakery items. I diced up some left over chicken, about 2 cups, and mixed it with a couple  heaping teaspoon scoops of sour cream and a couple heaping teaspoon scoops of olive oil mayo, along with a few healthy shakes of dried tarragon, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and freshly ground black pepper. I mixed up the chicken salad and popped it in the fridge while the baguette baked.

Once the bread was done, I sliced it up on the bias, and spread a generous dollop of chicken salad over each slice. I topped each with a thin slice of tomato, and a little more salt and pepper. I served these tasty little treats with a glass of Montinore Estate Pinot Gris from the Willanette Valley in Oregon, and it was a perfect pairing.

Rick agreed we should have these again soon :) I'll have to figure a way we can bring them on a picnic lunch before it gets too hot to have a picnic :) I think if I bring everything prepped and in separate containers, and assemble on site, it would be very tasty indeed!