Sunday, November 8, 2009

Kandinsky at the Guggenheim





I was pretty disappointed that both my camera battery and Rick's camera battery were dead yesterday morning. We plugged them both in for a charge, and headed out the door to the Guggenheim for the Kandinsky exhibit.






The Guggenheim restoration was completed last winter, and it's so nice to see Frank Lloyd Wright's composition without scaffolding. It's very unique inside and out - the building itself is a treat.


Our favorite part of the exhibit were Kandinsky's drawings on paper (usually done in watercolor, india ink and pencil). Rick used to have a print in his office at home in Portsmouth that may have been a replicated print, or something inspired by Kandinsky, so when we saw the advertisements for the show, we knew it was a "must see".

It seems obvious that Kandinsky was inspired by geometry, but not so obvious his musical genius. One original I saw I thought should have been named Jazz - just the feeling it evoked and thoughts it inspired. We had a great time talking about what each drawing said to us. I'm glad Rick was able to go - althought I would have gone on my own, it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun :)