Sunday, November 8, 2009

Michele's Christmas Toffee

This recipe is a total coop! My mother in law, Michele, who is a wonderful and sweet person, gave me this recipe a couple years ago. My Aunt Rachael, a fabulous cook in her own right, was anxious to have it. When I did get it, I passed it along. Mostly because it is a delicious candy that everyone enjoys!!

2 sticks butter (1 C)
1 1/2 C brown sugar
12 oz milk chocolate (yes, milk, not semi sweet)
10 oz slivered almonds

Toast the almonds, and allow them to cool

Chop the cooled almonds, and chocolate.

Spread 1/2 the almond/chocolate mixture in a buttered 9 x 13" pan

Cook butter and sugar until mixture reaches 300 degrees (use that candy thermometer again)

Pour the butter/sugar mixture over the chocolate/almonds in the 9 x 13" pan

Cover with the remaining nuts/chocolate

Spread everything so it is smooth

Refrigerate 1.5 hours

Break up and enjoy!