Monday, November 9, 2009

Suzee's Rich Osso Bucco



The other day I posted on facebook about how I was making Osso Bucco. It spurred quite a conversation, as Jim Longa (see left) and his wife Deb, talked about Jim's love for Osso Bucco. It is one of his most favorite dishes.

I'm thinking, YES! An Osso Bucco Throwdown! I'm sure Deb's version is delish, and since we are about 300 miles apart, Jim and Deb won't be tasting this one :(

If you wanted to make my delicious version, here is what I did:

3 - 4 lbs osso bucco

2 or 3 diced carrots

2 or 3 stalks of celery

1 large onion

1T butter

1T olive oil

1 can low sugar tomato sauce

1 cup white wine (yes, white!)

1T crushed dried rosemary

1T dried thyme

1T garlic powder

In a heavy bottomed dutch oven, brown the meat. Remove the meat and move to a plate. Add the butter and oil to the pan, and add the carrots, celery and onions. Saute until the vegetables are soft, and then add the meat back in. Add the tomato sauce, wine and herbs.

Cover the pan, and pop into a 350 degree oven for 2 hours.

Enjoy over mashed cauliflower or potatoes. Serve with a chewy Cabernet - we had a Sterling that was delish :)