Sunday, November 30, 2008

Irving Berlin's White Christmas



Back in the ski house in North Conway, NH, my friends and I talked about and watched our favorite Christmas shows. Mine are those animated ones from childhood like the Grinch. Some people like "It's a Wonderful Life" and my friend Joel introduced me to White Christmas. It was a singing and dancing extravaganza with a very happy ending. When I saw it was going to be on Broadway this year, I HAD TO HAVE TICKETS!

The Marquis Theater is in the Marriott Marquis Hotel, and it is a very nice theater. The seats are not designed for 12 year olds so we were very comfortable.

When I looked at the playbill, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the lead was Kerry O'Malley. She is Mike O'Malley's sister. I went to college with Mike and was in Godspell with him. I consider him one of my token successful friends - his long running TV show was "Yes, Dear" and he currently does Time Warner Cable ads. A very funny, talented and kind guy. Anyway, Kerry did a wonderful job in the Rosemary Clooney role :)

The show was great - the dancing was amazing (when do you get to see really good ensemble tap dancing??), the sets were incredible - a wonderful job of making you believe you are there, the costumes were rich and colorful, the actors and emsemble were very talented and well rehearsed, and of course the story was heart warming.

It was a great Christmas show and we very much enjoyed it!