Sunday, November 23, 2008

Suzee's Beef Braciole

I looked on line to see how it is that you cook Beef Braciole - there are a lot of recipes! I used these as inspiration, and this is what I did.

I took the prepared Beef Braciole from the Grand Central Terminal Marketplace, and let it get to room temperature. I sauteed what onion I had in my La Cruset dutch oven. Once they had some browning, I browned the braciole (leaving the onions in there in a pile on the side). Once all sides of the braciole were browned, I added a can of Hunts Low Sugar tomato sauce. Once it stopped splashing me (crap that was a new sweater too), I put the cover on and popped it in a 325 degree oven.

The butcher in the Grand Central Terminal Marketplace indicated the braciole had garlic, ramano cheese and parsley rolled inside it. Sounded good to me as that meets the low carb requirements for Rick.

I let the meat simmer in the oven for an hour and a half. At the 60 minute point I put a cookie sheet of trimmed and halved brussell sprouts and mini peeled carrots all rolled in olive oil in the oven. I made sure the cut side of the sprouts were down.

We enjoyed the braciole and the veggies, but I think next time I'll treat the braciole more like a pot roast and braise it in wine and onions rather than tomato sauce. I'll bet both will be good, but it's nice to have variety :)