Monday, August 25, 2008

Blues BBQ - Hudson River Park

Yesterday Rick as in cave mode, anxious to do some video gaming, and I knew it was going to rain today, so I really wanted to get out. The Hudson River Park Association was organizing a Blues BBQ, so I figured I'd check it out. I took the 4/5 down to Union Square (wow, not too many people on the train on Sundays) and then I took the L to 8th Avenue. I walked from the subway over on 14th street to 11th Ave and over West street.


The festival was from 2 - 8, and I got there around 2:30 - looked like the organizers weren't quite ready as there was a line a few blocks long out front. I noticed the Chelsea Piers were just a block or so from the end of the line, so I thought I'd walk through and check out the Chelsea Brewing Company. I'd read that this is supposed to be a great place to have a drink outdoors. I had the Summer Wheat.


If I lived in the area I might go again, but I don't so I probably won't.

After lunch, I went back by the blues festival, and the line was gone. It was out on a long pier (54) and I walked in past 5 or 6 different BBQ tents - I think the BBQ may have been the bigger draw for the festival based on the very long lines at each tent. I was really more interested in the music.

I really enjoyed the festival, and the music. Next year I'll come again, and get there a little later so I won't have to wait in line to get in. I will plan to wait in line for the BBQ - the roasted corn looked really good!