Monday, August 11, 2008

Vacation - York Beach Tuesday

Last night and this morning we were seranaded by the young brothers next door - maybe 2 and 3 years old or so. Usually we go to the beach around Rick's birthday and my birthday, and I wondered if this time of year was going to be a little louder than times when families have other things to do. Turns out the Annex is not as well insulated as the main inn.

I met Bethany this morning for breakfast - we went to the Bluff restaurant. I had a cheese and onion omlette, but I'm not ashamed to say I eyed Bethany's veggie scramble. It was great to see her, and we got to catch up with all the stuff going on with her family, job and activities. Unfortunately she had to head to work - I guess we can't all be on vacation :)

Later I took a drive to the Stonewall Kitchen Cafe to meet Ann for lunch - we had a hankering for a lobster roll, and we figured this place would meet it nicely. They had a couple of lobster dishes, but we were there for one thing :) The lobster was freshly cooked, mixed with just enough mayo - not too little and not too much - and a little bit of minced celery - a very nice salad filling. It was loaded into a grilled hot dog roll - my favorite approach. Other rolls ruin the lobster to bread ratio. Either that or mom just always made them that way :)



Ann and I shopped through the Stonewall Kitchen store - trying jams and jellies, smelling lotions, and looking at tchochkes. I think my new favorite jam is the Mimosa Jam from the brunch line. I didn't actually try the Belini Jam or the Kir Royale Jam - there is only so much Jam one can eat after lunch - but I feel pretty confident in my choice. The test kitchen was making blueberry waffles with blueberry syrup and we got there just as they were putting out the samples. Now that was an amazing dessert!

Although today was supposed to be the best day weather wise for the week, it was totally overcast and we never saw the sun. I'm still just excited to be in NH and Maine, and I'm not minding the weather.